Thursday, April 8, 2010

Artisan Breads Every Day - 100% Whole Wheat Hearth Bread

Still working through Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day.

Since we usually eat whole wheat bread, I was looking forward to trying this recipe. I made this recipe exactly as written.
The flavor was excellent. The texture was also good. My only problem was that it flattened into very short loaf. I don't know if the picture shows it, but this loaf was barely an inch high!

I think my mistake lay in how I formed the loaf. I would prefer a loaf that would hold together better and raise up instead of out! The taste of this bread was good enough to deserve a retry.

4 comments :

  1. Quite beautiful (as always :) ). You have probably been asked before, or you may have mentioned it on your blog, but I was wondering if you grind your own wheat? If you do, what type of grinder do you have? My wheat seems a bit coarse and have trouble with all wheat artisan breads. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeni-
    I do grind my own wheat. I have a Whisper Mill. I believe they have changed their name to Wonder Mill. I have been very happy with it but I've never tried anything else to compare it to. The only difficulty I've had was in grinding corn.
    Hope you can find something that works for you!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I have been using a hand grinder for quite some time and am ready to make the jump to an electric mill. The hand grinder just doesn't get the wheat as fine as I need it. I also have trouble with bread going sideways. Did you figure out what caused this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the same book for breads! Love Peter's stuff. You've probably figured it out by now, but if you wrap the boule really tightly before setting it to rise, it goes up, not out. I had some awfully short sourdough my first time around! I was too timid with shaping the loaf!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails