Thursday, April 2, 2009

Make It Yourself - Dough Enhancer


I've mentioned how much I think dough conditioners improve the results of whole wheat bread. I wrote about it here. You can buy a product called “Dough Enhancer” that I've never used but know others who like it. I found this recipe for dough enhancer that appeared quite simple to make and use. I only use the first three ingredients and haven't actually tried this recipe but thought I'd share it for those who would like to try it.
Homemade Dough Enhancer

1 cup wheat gluten
2 tablespoons lecithin granules
1 teaspoon ascorbic acid crystals (Vitamin C)
2 tablespoons powdered pectin
2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
(Double or triple if you want to store up more at one time.)

Mix together and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I used an old jelly jar. For 100% whole grain breads, use 3 tablespoons per loaf. You can even add a tablespoon per loaf in white bread recipes. Add to your recipe along with the flour.

1 comment :

  1. Thank you for the great article on vital wheat gluten.

    In regards to being a homemaker, don't forget to leave some time for you to recharge, pray, and exercise.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails