Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Make an Even Better Granola Bar!


Several months back I shared a granola bar recipe. Though our family really enjoyed the bars (and I've heard that some of you enjoy it as well) I was not totally satisfied. I wanted a healthier version of a store bought bar that would still have some of the same chewy crunch that we love in the bought versions! I tried numerous recipes - and all were delicious! But some had more sugar then I wished and I was hoping to find one that contained no processed ingredients, such as Rice Krispies.

I think I finally found it! This recipe (and it is not original with me) is our favorite yet! Very simple to make, some sugar but less then some others, and with lots of options of ingredients! I've made it four times now and never the same way twice! Give it a try!

2 1/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 1/4 cup chopped peanuts

Toast oats, seeds, and nuts in 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Check every few minutes and stir them around. You don't want them to burn, only to slightly brown.

2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Melt honey, sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt in pan over medium heat. Simmer for about five minutes.

1 cup raisins

Pour sugar syrup over toasted ingredients and raisins. Stir well. Press into greased 9 x 13 glass pan. Carefully press mixture tightly. Cut into bars while still warm.

Options:
Instead of the sunflower seeds, peanuts, and raisins, you may substitute from this list.

walnuts
almonds
coconut
craisins
chocolate chips (allow to cool slightly before mixing in, or will melt, which tastes good anyway!)
wheat germ
flax seed

4 comments :

  1. We just picked our sunflowers from the garden and are letting them dry out. I am going to try this recipe when they are ready. We love granola around here. I can make a 9x13 pan and it only lasts one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina I was just "surfing" around the blog world for back-to-school lunch recipes & this is perfect to add to our daughter's lunch box. I think I'm gonna make a batch of your pocket sandwiches as well. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina I love this recipe and make it all the time now. I finally posted about it today http://muminbloom.blogspot.com/2009/11/recipe-homemade-granola-bars.html

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gina,

    I just happened upon your webpage. Fantastic stuff! This granola recipe reminds me of the "home made" granola bars I get here at the bakery in Germany. I believe they use flax seed, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds in there recipe. They are absolutely wonderful but I can't wait to make this at home and know "for sure" whats in them!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails