Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Turkey Just Got Better!

Last week, I roasted a turkey. I used Crystal's deviled turkey recipe (recipe below) as a guide to make a rub. I didn't set it in the fridge overnight but just roasted it as usual, using the easy slow cook method I mentioned last week.
Here is the turkey, all ready to go in the oven.

The turkey smelled glorious and was HUGE! Almost 25 pounds, which needed 26 hours in the oven! Which means I had to smell that turkey for 26 hours! No wonder when I finally pulled it out of the oven, I tore off strips of turkey, which went straight into my mouth like a ravening beast!
This picture shows the turkey mid way through the roasting time. I took it out to remove some broth. While I was at it, I poured some broth over the turkey, then placed the lid on the pan for the remaining of the oven time. Sorry, I didn't get a picture of the final outcome before we began devouring it!

I don't want to brag but it was the best turkey I've eaten in my life!!! Wonderfully moist and incredibly seasoned! And the gravy made with the broth was good enough to skip the mashed potatoes!

Wow! How I love good food!



Deviled Turkey -
Thanks, Crystal

1/2 Teaspoon Salt per pound of turkey (I use much less!)
2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Sage
2 teaspoons Curry Powder
2 teaspoons Garlic Power
2 teaspoons Dried Parsley
2 teaspoons Celery seed
1 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/4 teaspoon Allspice
3 or 4 Bay Leaves, crumbled

Mix all ingredients together. Rub bird well inside and out with vegetable (or Olive) oil. Make pockets with a sharp knife in the breast. Rub dry mixture all over bird. Any mixture left over, rub in cavity. Let set over night in fridge. Roast as usual.



2 comments :

  1. Are all these seasoning amounts per pound like the salt or do you use just this amount regardless of the size of turkey?
    My husband received a 23 lb. turkey from work. I was amazed how much meat I got. And today I am going to can the leftover broth for easy meal prep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the other amounts are regardless of the size of turkey. But I don't usually rub this all on as I think it seems like a lot. I save the rest to use on the next chicken or another piece of meat.
      Gina

      Delete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails