Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Torrent


Photos from Unsplash

Grief is like rain.

    I can’t hold it back.

    It changes my plans for the day,

        for the week.

Grief, like thunder, is loud.

    I cringe from the noise,

        the thunderclaps,

        the lightening flash.

        I can’t think,

            can’t plan,

            can’t pray.

Grief turns the soil to mud

    splashing my legs.

    sucking my boots

    If I try to walk faster,

        to run,

        to escape

            it pulls me in deeper.

        I lose my boots,

            fall on my face,

            hope submerged.

        I must walk slowly,

            gently,

            lightly,

            allowing grief to caress

                and trickle down my face.

Grief is a season

    that returns

        again,

        again,

        and again.

For as long as there is earth

    there will be rain.

    Where there is life,

        there will be death.

    Where there is love,

        there will be grief.

        Seed time and harvest,

            summer and winter,

            sun and rain.

Grief, like rain,

       is found wherever there is life,

        wherever there is love.

    For the cold do not cry,

    the hard do not break,

    the dead to not mourn.

So I lift my face to the rain

    let the drops roll down my face,

    watch the trees bow their branches,

    hear the roots soak in the strength.

For grief points to a Creator who made life,

    a Savior who gave His life,

    a Healer who gives life.

Grief is a companion,

    a fellow traveler.

    Maybe—

    a friend.

Gina Martin – February 2024

13 comments :

  1. Such lovely words... And so true. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gut wrenching and quietly beautiful in the same moment. Thank -you for sharing this with us. May God grant you peace and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Gina! I wish I could come hug you!😭

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Gina. So well said. I especially like the lines "The cold do not cry, the hard do not break, the dead do not mourn." No matter how much grief hurts, we would not want to be cold, hard, or dead. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very profound. Thank you Gina. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gina this is beautiful and heart wrenching…your words bring out what many feel but can’t express. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tears, lots of tears as I am in a few weeks into my own journey of grief. A friend? Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this and I detest this. I know grief, but not the grief of losing a lover, provider, and best friend. Fear of losing loved ones often haunts me, but you are teaching me that it is an excruciating blessing. Thank you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou, Gina, for a different perspective... maybe even a positive light placed on grief. Viewing it as a friend makes it seem alright to walk through life with. 🫂 Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully said. I lost my mom to cancer in 2021. Eighteen months later to the day, my father passed unexpectedly from heart failure. Life has felt so different and grief has been difficult to navigate especially with several children to help through as well. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails