Saturday, June 24, 2023

Fresh Herb Cheese Ball

 I've had an herb garden for years. In fact, I rode my bike to our local greenhouse, before I had my driver's license, to purchase herb plants. I'm not sure why I was so infatuated by herbs, but I nearly memorized my mom's herb book. I loved the smells and textures of herbs. It was such fun to weed among such lovely plants.

An herb garden was one of the first additions I added to our property when we moved here. I've moved it to different spots, but found I was most likely to use the herbs if they were on a pot on my porch. 

But still, I rarely actually cooked with fresh herbs. I occasionally picked a sprig of rosemary or made a batch of basil pesto, but I was far better at growing herbs than using them. 

Until last year. 

One of my daughters was spending the day at my parent's house, and my mom was making a simple cheese ball with fresh herbs. She came home with the directions and suddenly my pot of herbs was being snipped repeatedly to make herb cheese ball. She loved making it so much that when winter came and our herbs died, she adapted the recipe to use dried herbs. But we were all delighted when spring came ,and she could use fresh herbs again.

This recipe can be adapted with whatever herbs you have. She likes to have at least three kinds. The amount of herbs is approximate. She simply picks a few sprigs without measuring.



Fresh Herb Cheese Ball

1 8oz pack of cream cheese

1/8 cup mayonnaise

1 Tablespoon each of chopped basil, chives, oregano, parsley, thyme, and rosemary

In the winter, use a teaspoon of dried herbs.



Edited: I should have specified that this recipe is more of a spread or cheese ball. We eat it on crackers. If you want to use it for a veggie dip (which is also delicious) add more mayo and be sure to let it sit out of the fridge a bit to soften the cream cheese before serving.

7 comments :

  1. this is wonderful and i am going to make some first thing tomorrow. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Gina! I have most of these herbs fresh, but I will add a bit of dried to the rest. Sounds delicious, and I found a good sale on cream cheese. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too have many times grown herbs and never used them! This looks tasty - I might try it with yogurt. Thank you for sharing! - Mary Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this sounds fun to make with fresh herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I have dabbled in growing herbs and this year I created a separate garden just for my herbs and this dip will surely be a favorite here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on the herbs herbs!!! Next year I want to bring more onto the deck! . . . I was so, so excited when my oregano and tarragon came back and didn't freeze out last winter!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails