Saturday, May 1, 2021

Sisters' May Reading Challenge

 


I'm excited about this  month's reading challenge. So much potential for great reading! 

This post contains affilant links.

1. Read a book of letters (fiction or nonfiction).

For example: 

84,Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (A New York writer sent letters to a London used book seller after World War 2 and their coorespondance has become a classic.)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (Fictional letters between a London writer and the islanders of Guernsey and a celebration of the role literature played in their survival of World War 2 occupancy. Delightful book though there is a gay character- a minimal part of the book.)

Let Me Be a Woman by Elisabeth Elliot (These notes to her daughter were written decades ago but are still relevant.)


2. Read a book set in a country you've never visited (fiction or nonfiction).

We were going to suggest a book set in Mexico or Latin America for Cinco de Mayo, but that seemed too restrictive. But I would love to learn more about the  US neighbor so if you have some book suggestions set in Mexico, please let me know.

Examples for this challenge - they are endless.

Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan (Middle grade fiction from India)

Peace Child by Don Richardson (A missionary classic from New Guinea)

In the Land of Blue Burquas by Kate McCord (Powerful story of a woman reaching out to the women of Afghanistan.


3. Read a book that your mother or mentor enjoys.

In honor of Mother's Day, ask your mother for a suggestion of a book she has particularly enjoyed.


4. Read in your backyard, on your porch, or on your fire escape.


5. Ask someone at church what they are reading.

Have fun reading in May!

7 comments :

  1. These look pretty awesome challenges Gina. I'm sure I can do this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a fun challenge. I will check out your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #5 sounds fun! Chris W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A book set in Mexico: The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. I haven't read it in twenty years, and that was before I was a believer (yet "churched" in the Anglican tradition) but it left a powerful impression. Not for the faint of heart. On a lighter note, a picture book for kids: Waiting for the Biblioburro by Monica Brown - the true story of a librarian who brought books to kids in the Colombian highlands by burro. - Mary Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the book recommendations. I'll check them out!
      Gina

      Delete
    2. I forgot - a great one! For a book of letters, I found Letters from the South Seas by Margaret Paton inspiring and challenging. What an incredible woman, and what an amazing story. -MK

      Delete
  5. I don't know if I will do all the challenges. But I got started on #2 and #4 by spending part of Sunday afternoon on our porch beginning to reread "Under His Wings"--an inspiring mission story set in Guatemala. (A country I've never visited and also in your "Central America" criteria.) - CRS

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails