Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Homemade Mocha Frappe

I don't like coffee. I like the frangrance. I think it smells good enough to eat, but after several tries I decided I just don't enjoy coffee.

Unless it is masked with lots of sugar, milk, and chocolate

But I never wanted to get in the habit of indulging in the treat of sugar-laden coffee. Far better to not be enticed by the expensive coffee-shop drinks. And I don't need any extra temptations to ingest sugar - I get more than enough already.

But this summer I kept reading about cold-pressed coffee. According to what I read, cold-pressed coffee was not as bitter or acidic as regular brewed coffee. I figured if it was less bitter, I would need less sugar. We already owned a french press which was perfect for cold-pressed coffee, though a jar would have also worked fine.

All I had to do was give the suggestion to Ed. He cold-pressed coffee, poured it into ice cube trays, and the next morning was mixing up a Chocolate Chip Frappe. Mmmm...



And so began our summer indulgence.

I know summer is only a memory, and we are all thinking of hot drinks now, but I'll share the directions so that next summer I can have this memory jogger.



To Cold-pressed Coffee: 
In a french press or quart jar, pour 1/2 to 3/4 cup of ground coffee. Some like it stronger than this and add more coffee. Personally, I liked it a little milder. But remember, I don't like coffee!

Fill jar or press with cold water. Stir coffee and water. Cover. Allow to steep for 8-24 hours.

If using a french press, push down strainer and pour off coffee. If using a jar, pour coffee into a fine strainer or cheese cloth.

Freeze half the coffee in an ice cube tray. Refrigerate remaining coffee.

You could also use regular brewed coffee and cool it. I just like the mild flavor of cold-pressed coffee.



To make Mocha Frappe:
6 ice coffee cubes
1 cup milk
1 cup cold coffee
chocolate syrup
optional garnish: whipped cream, chocolate shavings, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, etc

Combine coffee cubes, milk, coffee, and syrup in blender. Blend well. Pour into glass. Garnish as desired. May also add chocolate chips to blender if you like chocolate shavings in your frappe.

Makes two servings.

 

Usually we skip the garnishes, but one morning I came out to the kitchen to find that Ed made this lovely concoction. Wow. That is a great way to start a morning!

I do not add any extra sugar- the sugar in the chocolate syrup is enough for me. But if you like your coffee stronger, or your drink sweeter, adjust to your taste.

I don't measure the syrup, just drizzle some in. I'll share my easy chocolate syrup recipe tomorrow.

I use whole raw milk. I love how it makes a foamy layer of cream on top. I'm not sure other milk would have the same affect. You may need to add some cream to get the same creamy affect.

 

After almost forty years of saying that I don't drink coffee, it is rather shocking to be describing a coffee drink that I love.

How do you like your coffee?

5 comments :

  1. Hmmmm....... I don't like coffee either. Do I want to start this?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a coffee lover, but my favorite would have to be a surprise from my sweetheart. Lucky you to have such a lovely and loving husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to pretend I never saw this post, Gina! :-) I started out w/ cappuccino and a small bit of coffee as a date....slowly transferred to more coffee, less cappuccino, and then to a small bit of sugar and milk w/ more coffee. I've been w/ milk and coffee for a month or more now, and even though I have a huge sweet tooth, I know less sugar is better for me, and this is a small way once or twice a day. And my dear hubby thinks it's so cute since he's a black coffee guy only....he says I'll soon be right with him. ;-)
    ~Eunice

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore coffee in almost any form, but I usually drink it strong and black. However, I'm pregnant and I've had strong cravings for mocha lattes. At first, I would just buy them because I was so sick, but now I've started mixing up my own at home. I use cold decaf coffee, whole milk, and chocolate syrup. I make my own chocolate syrup too - recipe from Mennonite Community! Looks pretty similar to yours, if I recall ( we don't go through it very quickly).

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails