Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Cinnamon Raisin Bread and Bagels



One of the questions I've been asked is how to make Cinnamon Raisin Bread.

You can use any favorite bread dough to make Cinnamon Raisin Bread. Some good recipes on Home Joys are Country White Bread or Whole Wheat Bread. In the photos on this post I was using the Sourdough Potato Bread.

I like to hydrate the raisins before adding them to the bread. Adding dried fruit to bread dough can make the dough more dry as the raisins suck the moisture out of the dough while it rises.

And none of us want dry bread. Right?

But neither do you want the raisins so soft that they disintegrate, especially if you add them to the dough while kneading. I usually add the raisins when forming the loaves to avoid problem. Or add them to the very end of the kneading process.



To hydrate the raisins I pour a half cup of hot water over 1 cups of raisins and allow to rest for about 15 minutes. You may also heat the raisins and water in the microwave. One cup of raisins will be a nice amount for two loaves of bread. Drain off all the excess water before adding the raisins to the dough.



For this bread, I rolled my dough thinly, spread on the raisins and generously sprinkled cinnamon and nutmeg. I also added some brown sugar. You can use honey if you desire. I then rolled the dough tightly and place in loaf pans. Bake as usual.

If you are accustomed to making cinnamon rolls, you probably also butter the dough. I do not use butter when making cinnamon bread. Butter will cause the dough layers to separate causing a great hole in the center of the loaf.



Want to make Cinnamon Raisin Bagels?

I again soak the raisins, this time two cups of raisins with one cup water for a batch of Sourdough Bagels or Whole Wheat Bagels. Halfway through kneading I add the raisins with 1 tsp of cinnamon. Precede with the remainder of the kneading and other directions.

If your family is like mine, the aroma of cinnamon and raisins will send them to the kitchen where they will beg for a taste.

You may not have any left for breakfast.

7 comments :

  1. sounds good! We just made your Miracle Bread yesterday and sprinkled cinnamon sugar over the rolled out dough. It was absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I had no idea cinnamon raisin bread could be made so easily!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum!! Bagels are on my list to master and the next time I make a NO-KNEAD bread, I'm going to give this a try with the raisins and cinnamon.

    Hopefully - a no knead bread recipe would still work. Any thoughts on that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! You can mix the raisins directly in the dough or spiraled like I show.
      Happy Baking,
      Gina

      Delete
  4. Yum! Looks delicious. I did not know that butter would cause the layers to separate.

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so delicious. I will certainly give it a try ; )
    Have a wonderful day and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have soooooooo many apples,,,,,,,,,i can see this with apple slices i have canned, instead of the pie i usually make with them,,,,,,,,,,,,,soooooooooooo yummy,,,,,,,,,,,thanks so much for the recipe,

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails