Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Cookbook Challenge - Mennonite Girls Can Cook

I've been in a cooking slump. I've not been meal planning or feeling inspired in cooking this winter. Time for another cookbook challenge - where I get out one of my cookbooks and deliberately try some new recipes.



It has been a pleasure to have Mennonite Girls Can Cook cookbook on my counter the last couple weeks. Not only did I find some good recipes, but the pictures and extra comments, stories, and devotionals make this cookbook special.



I wouldn't call this cookbook low-fat or particularly health conscious. Some of the recipes are special holiday treats that are too complicated, and rich, for every day. But many are simple country cooking that can fit into a busy schedule. Many of the recipes are family favorites from generations past and call for basic ingredients already in my kitchen. The exception would be the gluten-free recipes which contained things I never heard of.

I didn't take many photos but some of our favorites were apple pancakes, sausage quiche, blueberry muffins, french toast, blueberry scones, meatballs, green bean stew, and butterhorns.

Tomorrow I'll share the recipe for the tacos.

Do you have a favorite cookbook you are working through recently?

5 comments :

  1. Gina, you've had some big changes in the last several months. So hard to keep all the balls juggling smoothly when you add a few more. Hope everything is going well with church. God bless. ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina, we are trying to avoid eating meat and fish and so I am trying to build up a set of vegetarian recipes which are healthy and tasty. We don't like meat substitutes like soya and quorn and so most recipes contain lentils. I use the internet to download about 10 new ones at a time and try them out one by one. If I like them I print them and put them in a folder and if not, they get thrown away!! This week i am batch cooking and filling the freezer. Vegetarian food, I find, requires more planning and shopping than meat dishes (such as soaking lentils over night and lots of fresh ingredients that need chopping etc.) Like you I alway change recipes a little. I usually add more garlic, chilli and herbs as we like strong flavours. Have a peaceful Easter and love to you all. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, it's fun to see our cookbook as your 'Cookbook Challenge'. Happy you are enjoying the recipes.

    Have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last few weeks, I've been exploring a cookbook I picked up last summer at our library's book sale called "Fearless Baking" by Elinor Klivans.

    So far, I've made (and we've loved) the cheddar, vegetable, cashew pie, jumbo chocolate chip cookies, gingerbread with toffee sauce, peanut butter and milk chocolate brownies, three layer walnut bars, and an orange cream cheese pie. I'm looking forward to trying the big, easy popovers soon.

    Obviously, it has a lot of treats and, like your cookbook, it isn't health conscious or low fat cooking. However, each recipe I've tried has been easy to make and turned out to be absolutely delicious.

    It's always a fun thing to try, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been using Nigella Lawson's cookbook Nigella Express. She is English incase you want to google her. I have been finding life is really busy lately and alot of her recioes are quick and easy but still really tasty. She is also not a low fat cook but we have found a few favourites. I think I might go and have a look at the Menonite girls can cook website again. They have some delicous recipes.
    Helena from Australia

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails