Friday, July 1, 2011

Book Review - Safely Home - Lies Women Believe

There is much I could post about our garden, chickens, or some new recipes. But somehow I can't get excited about writing about those topics yet.

So I'll write about the books. Books I've read recently that have impacted me.

Safely Home

In May, our book club read Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. This book is the story of the reunion of two old college friends and the impact it had on their life. One man is a Christian persecuted for his faith in China, and the other is a successful business man in America. Though the story was fiction, it is based on true accounts from China. It also weaves in history of China and the persecuted church around the world.

By the time I finished this book, my faith felt very shallow. My small "hardships" of bickering children and a muddy kitchen floor appear miniscule when compared to the suffering of believers. It made me long for a desire to know and study God's Word like those Christians do.

The book gives a glimpse into heaven. While completely within the realm of an author's imagination, it did make me realize how insignificant any discomfort on earth will appear when we experience the glories of heaven.

I didn't know how soon I would need the reminder of the hope of heaven. I don't believe anything is accidental and am truly glad I took the time to read this book. Safely Home is now on my list of books I should reread often.
Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free
When we found we were taking a quick trip to North Carolina, I wanted to have some sort of reading material with me. I never take a long car trip without a book. With just a few extra seconds, a quick perusal of my mom's bookshelf found Lies Women Believe by Nacy Leigh DeMoss.

I don't know if I could have picked a more perfect book (besides the Bible). DeMoss pulls our minds back to the truth of God's Word on what it says about God, about ourselves and our relationships. While I would have said that I believe that God is good and has everything within His control, this book challenges me to truly live like I believe it.

Lies Women Believe is another book that goes on my "to be read again" list.

I was going to type in some quotes from both books, but I don't know that I can pick only a few favorites, plus I think you should just read both books yourself. They can probably be found in your library.

6 comments :

  1. Oh, Gina, Safely Home is one of my all-time favorites. Have already read it three times since it came out, and have it in my book pile again. Going to get it circulating among the ladies in our new church. Lies Women Believe (and the Young Women's edition) is in my stack, too. Going to be teaching a young ladies class this fall, and I want to make the applications as real as possible. These are certainly winners. ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lies Women Believe is on my list of books to read (and has been for awhile!). I hadn't heard of the other book before, but will look into that too. Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina, I don't know if I've left a comment before, but have been reading your blog since January and just love it. About ten years ago the libraian at our church asked if I would participate in the summer reading program. The church donates a book in honor of each person than finishes. The book they choose for me was Safely Home. I had never heard of Randy Alcorn at that time and realy enjoyed reading it. He has another book that came out a couple of years ago called Heaven. It's a good one too. We have been praying for Jean and her children.

    Kathie in SC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestions Gina! I think Safely Home sounds really good, and reading is something I actually have time to do right now while I'm rocking the babies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very curious about the lies women believe. Will have to check it out. Love when you talk books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gina:
    I have had to purchase 'Lies Women Believe' more than once because it doesn't get returned to me (: That is okay-- it is a powerful book I love to share with my college girls. Thanks for telling us about it. I echo your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails