Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Spring and Summer Picture Books

Even though the temperature is still frigid here and "they" actually said we could have snow this past weekend. (We didn't.) I think it is time to get the winter books  off the shelves and pull out the spring books. You can find other picture book favorites on the Agrarian  and  Boy lists.

Actually, the spring books would  cross into the agrarian or nature books.  But I'll share a few favorites that come to mind in hopes that you'll share your favorites to add to my library list!

The Tiny Seed (World of Eric Carle)
The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle
Endearing illustrations with a garden theme.

Very Hungry Caterpillar
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
More from a wonderful illustrator combining fun story, days of the week, numbers, and a butterfly life cycle.

Butterfly House
Butterfly House by Eve Bunting
Another butterfly book with a sweet relationship of a girl and or grandfather.

The Donkey's Day Out by Ann Pilling
A sweet story of a donkey that realized the important part a donkey can play.This one could be hard to find but check your library.

Make Way For Ducklings
Make Way for the Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
I didn't know which of McCloskey's stories to mention because they are all wonderful and fit the spring/summer theme. Make Way for the Ducklings was my daughters favorite but my berry loving son likes Blueberries for Sal and we've all enjoyed Time of Wonder and One Morning in Maine.

Miss Rumphius
Miss Rumphius
This year I have lupines starting on my window sill. Doesn't everyone who reads this book want to make there world more beautiful?

 Chipmunk Willie
Chipmunk Willie by Harry Baerg
A slightly longer picture book that follows the life of a chipmunk family.

Your turn. What books do you enjoy rereading to your little people when waiting for the weather to warm?

5 comments :

  1. We love Blueberries for Sal, and One Morning in Maine as well. We also like Miss Fanny's Hat by Jan Karon. It's a sweet story of a precious old woman who lives with her daughter - she gives a gift to her church and they are able to beautify and repair their church...you have to read it. I get teary eyed every time!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child and even my kids liked The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton

    http://www.amazon.com/Little-House-Virginia-Lee-Burton/dp/039525938X

    shows all the seasons :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids loved Make Way for Ducklings also. Hope you find some other good books for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! We just read The Tiny Seed. We read all the time and anything in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first heard Miss Rumphius read at a high school graduation, as one teacher hoped all of her students would try to make the world more beautiful. I loved it and have since read it to my girls many times.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails