Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Apple Cake

The great thing about fruit desserts is that I can feel like I am eating something good for me while indulging my sweet tooth! Of course, it still contains sugar and isn't REALLY good for me, but I can pretend!


Apple Cake 

Briefly adapted from Simply in Season

5 cups apples (unpeeled and chopped)
1 cup sugar (you can add more if your apples are very tart)

Combine and let stand while mixing other ingredients.

1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
Combine in a separate bowl.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Mix in with oil and eggs until barely moistened. Stir in apples. Pour into greased 9x13 pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 T flour
While cake bakes, heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

1/3 cup powdered sugar
Stir in. Drizzle over hot cake.

6 comments :

  1. It does sooth the conscience a bit to eat some fruit with the dessert, doesn't it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY perfect timing, we get our apples in a few weeks! 1700 lbs for pressing, and 800 lbs for canning, between me and my friend and my mom!!!! i can't wait to try this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this reminds me of the rhubarb cake recipe a little! (http://dotalanecdotes.blogspot.com/2010/09/rhubarb-for-bakers.html) must be why it looks so good to me ..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so delicious, Gina! I saw a similar recipe on Bakerella's website earlier this week and am hoping to try one or the other! I got lots of apples from my sister in law and have made some applesauce, but this looks DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious! I will have to make this too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite fall recipe's from Simply in Season. Can't wait to get some apples!

    ReplyDelete

I'm still learning how to be a joyful homemaker and I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails