Thursday, September 3, 2009

Make it Yourself - Barbeque Sauce

I found this recipe somewhere on the web. (I can't remember where to give them the credit.) Most recipes call for starting with tomato paste but this one truly starts from scratch. I made a batch last summer and we really enjoyed it! The ways to personalize the seasonings are endless!

Homemade Barbecue Sauce

2 gallons chopped tomatoes
4 chopped onions
2 cups chopped celery (optional, in other words, I didn't have it and it turned out okay!)
3 cups chopped red or green sweet peppers (mixed is good)
6 garlic cloves, crushed
2 cups vinegar
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
3 T Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp crushed red pepper (more or less depending on your preference)
2 T paprika
2 T dry mustard ( or 3 T wet mustard)
3 tsp salt
1 tsp liquid smoke of your choice (hickory, mesquite, or whatever)
1/2 tsp pepper
any other seasonings use wish (I added cumin, lemon pepper and chili powder.)

Cook tomatoes until soft. Drain off extra water. Run through food mill.
Cook onion, celery, peppers, and garlic until soft. Blend in blender. Put through food mill.

Return tomatoes and vegetables to large pot and simmer uncovered for about an hour to hour and half. Mixture should thicken.

Stir in the remaining ingredients and any other seasoning of your choice. You could add 1/2 cup honey and reduce the sugar by 1/2 cup. Make it more or less smoky as your family desires. Simmer for about an hour on very low heat. If still not thick enough, you could add clear gell or cornstarch, mixing it with a little juice before adding to the pot.

Place in jars and process in canner for 20 minutes.

Disclaimer: Though this recipe has worked for me, it has not been tested for safety by the experts. Please use at your own risk.

7 comments :

  1. I've been enjoying your blog since my sis-in-law, Jane Eby told me about it. Today for lunch my girls had monkey bread dipped in homemade apple butter. Fun and yummy at the same time! ;)Thanks for all the info. Blessings, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I am sure homemade bbq sauce is much healthier than store bought.

    Blessings
    Mrs. White

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good. I like that it's made with tomatoes instead of ketchup. Wish I had this recipe a few weeks ago - our tomatoes are done for the year. I'll have to save the recipe for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was poking around internet trying to find out if I could safely feed my chickens zucchini and came across your blog. I'm very glad I did. My tomatoes are just coming in and I am going to be making this BBQ sauce for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so yummy! I am new yo your blog and have enjoyed reading back lots of past messages. Have a great weekend and come visit me sometime.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. This receipe sounds great. I would like to know the yield and is this processed in water bath canner? Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the yield, I need to count the next time I make it. I use a water bath canner.
      Gina

      Delete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails