Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Baby Wipe Update

Several of you have told me that you love making your own baby wipes that I had shared directions for several months ago. You can find directions here. But some of you also had problems with mildew. I can understand why mildew could be a problem in the moist warm environment. I had found that using anti-bacterial soap had avoided the problem. But, interestingly, last month I began having a mildew problem again! Here are some things that worked for me that you may wish to try if it continues to be an issue for you.

1.Increase the amount of anti-bacterial solution, whether it be soap, tea tree oil or grapefruit seed extract. I use 10 to 15 drops of grapefruit seed extract.

2.I cleaned out my baby wipe container with bleach. Since it has been in continual use for almost five years, I figured maybe it needed a good cleaning.

3.After I mix up my soap and water solution, I dip the top of my paper towels in the water before flipping it over and setting it in the container. I seemed to only have mildew on the top edge and figured that maybe the soap just wasn't absorbing all the way to the top.

4.Some people boil their water first. I never have, but maybe it would be something you wish to try.

In the last month, I've had no problems with mildew, so hopefully some of these things did help and will answer your problems as well!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I'm still learning how to be a joyful homemaker and I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails